Public Lab is excited to announce that the 2016 Regional Barnraising will be hosted in Val Verde, Los Angeles County, California July 9th and 10th!
What is a Regional Barnraising?
The Regional Barnraising is an annual event hosted by the Public Lab community. In the spirit of bringing a community together to collectively raise a structure such as a barn, Regional Barnraising participants come together to test environmental monitoring tools in the field, develop new research projects, share out about environmental concerns, and develop strategies to address them. The event is hosted in an “unconference style.” This means that people join to participate and collaborate rather than just present, talk, and listen.
One pager:: About_the_Barnraising.pdf
Who can join the Barnraising?
This event is open to everyone. Participants will include people from many interests and backgrounds including local residents with environmental concerns, technologists, designers, social scientists, and community organizers.
Join the discussion
We'll be talking about the event and planning it out in this google group. Join us::
Los Angeles metro area group: publiclab-la
We're running registration on EventBrite. Each attendee must be registered to join the event. You can register for up to 10 people at a time, but you'll need to enter a little bit of information about each person you're registering.
Cost We do registration on a sliding scale. So cost should never be prohibitive for you to attend! General tickets are priced at $30 (which is $15 per day). If you can help support the event at a higher price than this use the "donate" ticket at the bottom of the registration. If you need a discount to make the event more accessible for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your ticket cost needs.
Early Bird Discount:: Register before June 9th with the Promo Code EARYBIRD and get 30% off!
Admissions Tickets Attendee The Attendee ticket is for both Barnraising days. It includes breakfast and lunch Saturday and Sunday as well as dinner Saturday night. Under 15 We're family friendly, and anyone under 15 years of age is free.
Housing Tickets The Barnrising is an overnight event. If you're looking for a place to crash, awesome, we can help. There are a few options:
- Tenting is available for $5. Select this for your ticket type if you will be looking for a camping spot (Please do this for each person you're registering for, again email email@example.com if you need discounts).
- Homestay with a community member for $20/per person/per night. Select the tickets you need for this on your registration. There is a limit on the number of people we can put up this way, so register early if this is what you'd like to do!
- Hotel near by. Want a little more personal space? That works too! There are a couple local hotel options.
If you live locally great! If you have a spare room you can host another Barnraiser, Amazing, email Sara Sage or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Be sure to come back to this page for event updates!
Upcoming in 2016:
- 2016 Barnraising: projected early November in Louisiana.
Learn more about our past Barnraisings:
- 2015 Barnraising: Cocodrie, Louisiana
- 2015 Midwest Regional Barnraising: Chicago, Illinois
- 2014 Barnrasing: Cocodrie, Louisiana
- 2014 Northeast Regional Barnraising: Plymouth, Massachusetts
- 2013 Barnraising: New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2012 Barnraising: Cocodrie, Louisiana
- 2011 Barnraising: Asheville, North Carolina
About Regional Barnraisings: The first Regional Barnraising was held in Spring, 2014 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. This was a great way to draw new Public Labbers in, focus on regional issues and cater to people who are unable to travel to our yearly Barnraising in Louisiana.
Recognizing the growth of the Public Lab Midwest community, the second annual Regional Barnraising was held in the summer of 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. Midwest projects such as hydrogen sulfide sensing, petcoke mapping and dust monitoring laid the groundwork for a fantastic and dynamic regional event.