This is an open source community effort to develop simple, low-cost aerial photography methods for a range of conditions. All open hardware and software efforts are welcome here!
There are several sub-categories:
- Kite making - make your own!
- Balloon Mapping Materials - where to get them!
- Camera selection
- Photo rigs - connect your camera to your balloon/kite/etc!
- MapKnitter - Stitching images into maps!
- Mapping curriculum - a range of useful resources
You can join in by:
- Reading about goals and asking great questions
- Trying (and adding to) our community-made how-to guides
- Building on others’ work; adapt, hack and remix the kits to refine and expand them
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.
Public Lab’s Kits initiative offers starter kits for kite and balloon photography. The point of the kits is to provide a shared reference design for building experimental setups onto. You can also use our guides as a resource for building or purchasing materials of your own.