_Image above by @liz_
Our work in Somerville is developing in partnership with [Parts and Crafts](http://partsandcrafts.org). Somerville is also home to [Sprout](http://thesprouts.org) and the Boston-area Dorkbot chapter.
In Somerville, we've been interested in
* measuring vegetation health using [near-infrared cameras](/tool/near-infrared-camera)
* detecting heat leaks with cheap, DIY [thermal photography](/tool/thermal-photography), allowing for better winterization and heating bill savings
* investigating waste flows, such as where our trash goes -- with Pablo Rey from [Basurama.org](http://basurama.org)
* check out this map of a [landfill in Saugus, MA](https://mapknitter.org/map/view/saugus-incinerator-landfill) which we made in late 2011
* improving the [DIY spectrometer](/tool/spectrometer) for investigating oil and tar contamination (mainly for use at the [Gowanus Canal](/place/new-york-city) and along the [Gulf Coast](/place/gulf-coast)
<iframe style="border:none;" width="500" height="375" src="https://archive.publiclab.org/leaflet/?tms=https://archive.publiclab.org/saugus/2011-10-10-massachusetts-saugus/tms/&lon=-70.98819460855&lat=42.4390999158&zoom=16"></iframe>
*Above: a kite map of the Saugus incinerator ash landfill, where most of the Boston area's trash ends up.*
We occasionally have meetups at the Pirateship, so get in touch [on the mailing list](/wiki/mailing-lists) if you're interested in participating in or organizing a local meetup.
At Parts & Crafts, we've been doing occasional workshops building [spectrometers](/tool/spectrometer), [infrared cameras](/tool/near-infrared-camera), such as the one used to take this photograph:
Folks on the local **plots-boston** discussion list often lend and borrow Public Lab kits and other resources. To request a kit, or help with a kit from other local members, please email the list -- you can sign up in the upper left.
To offer resources borrowing, please add your name and the available tool below:
* DIY Spectrometer: [warren](/profile/warren), [kgradow1](/profile/kgradow1)
* Kites (9-foot & 7-foot): [warren](/profile/warren), [kgradow1](/profile/kgradow1)
* Balloon Mapping kits: [warren](/profile/warren)
* Space for events: [kgradow1](/profile/kgradow1)
* [Infragram](/wiki/infragram) cameras: [warren](/profile/warren)
Other things are often available, so please ask on the list if you're wondering!
Nearby pollution issues (by [SkyTruth Alerts](http://alerts.skytruth.org/)):
<iframe width="960" height="650" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://alerts.skytruth.org/embed?l=42.2788,-71.2071,42.4437,-70.9667"></iframe>