Show your support for community science. Donate to Public Lab »

Question:Can a DIY spectrometer be used to measure water turbidity?

warren is asking a question about spectrometry: Subscribe to answer questions on this topic

warren asked on December 18, 2017 12:26
237 | 1 answers | shortlink

I've seen some good work on #beers-law, which deals with concentration in a liquid sample. Since lots of people are interested in using spectrometers to do this; what kind of experiment design would enable quantitative measurements of turbidity with a DIY spectrometer like one of these?

spectrometry beers-law turbidity opacity

question:spectrometry question:turbidity question:spectrometry-challenge question:beers-law question:lego-spectrometer question:lego-spectrometer-challenge


Ag8n about 1 month ago

By definition, turbidity measures the amount of light scattered at a 90 angle. So there would have to be a change in the optical layout from the basic spectrometer. You also need to check the specific method referenced. Some instruments are getting quite complex ( ratio recording , etc.). If a method specifies something like that, it can change your optical layout dramatically. Having said that, most turbidimeters are very simple and would be easy to duplicate.

warren 22 days ago

Hm, good point -- actually going back to an old post there's some great stuff here:

So perhaps turbidity since it measures reflectivity, is not just an analogue for opacity, and Beer's Law may not apply for all contaminants?

warren 22 days ago

So a design using the Lego Spectrometer, for example, might need a right-angle light source -- but that's not so bad, since already with fluorescence spectrometry we'd be doing this. Interesting!

Log in to comment

1 Answers

Absolutely correct. The fluorescence spectrometer is the same layout as for the basic turbidimeter.

The standards are a bit of a pain, but quite doable. The ingredients for the standards didn't use to be a problem to get. Maybe that had changed.

Log in to comment

Sign up or Login to post an answer to this question.