About Public Lab
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community -- supported by a 501(c)3 non-profit -- which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
The core Public Lab program is focused on "civic science" in which we research open source hardware and software tools and methods to generate knowledge and share data about community environmental health. Our goal is to increase the ability of underserved communities to identify, redress, remediate, and create awareness and accountability around environmental concerns. Public Lab achieves this by providing online and offline training, education and support, and by focusing on locally-relevant outcomes that emphasize human capacity and understanding.
Download a PDF overview of Public Laboratory's work here:
Public Lab Overview PDF
Join now at: publiclab.org/join
We're developing new tools for civic science with the following features:
- low cost
- open source and user modifiable design, with creative reuse of consumer technology
- ease of use/low barrier to entry for using hardware, software and field methods
- public participation
- data legibility (including a preference for maps and other rich visual means of representation)
- high quality, environmentally and socially relevant data
- Contribute - how to participate in Public Lab
- Priorities - our main concerns and goals
- Public Lab Partners - links to the sites of Public Lab friends, collaborators and partners
- Media - upcoming events we're speaking at, our publications, and press coverage
- How Public Lab is Funded - A list of Public Lab funding sources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Lab on Twitter and on Facebook
How Public Lab is organized.
Who We Are
Public Lab is a growing community that is open for all to join. However, there are seven staff and five board members that support this community.
The best way to get in touch is by emailing our staff list at email@example.com. If you are trying to reach a particular staff member, please visit the Public Lab Staff page. If you need assistance with a kit purchase, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-902-5874. For issues with the website, please contact email@example.com.
We receive mail at:
Public Laboratory P.O. Box 426113 Cambridge, MA 02142
You can also call us at: 504-358-0647 or fax us at: 504-324-0401
Here are some Public Lab logos in various sizes: