Noise pollution can have a harmful impact on both wildlife and human health. There are several notable community science projects that have focused on noise monitoring, some that use phone applications and others that use noise meters.
Lead image from NoiseTube
Noise monitoring resources and projects:
Noise can by monitored by apps downloaded to your phone. Here's a Blog post on Apps for noise mapping by Antonella Radicchi.
Here are some App options:
- Softhook.com by Christian Nold: a DIY noise monitoring that he’s deploying around Heathrow
- Citi-Sense: app for evaluating soundscapes - by Chunming Li, from the Chinese Academy of Science
- NoiseTube: one of the very first apps that was developed
Note from Muki Haklay: There are issues with the calibration of phones with apps, which was an issue in some of the work that we’ve done few years ago, so I would also think that you can use class I noise meters.
- Class I noise meters (they’re not super expensive – about £50 )
- Sound Around Town adapted commercial recording units (Roland-05) and developed calibration devices so that participants in the project can borrow the equipment from local libraries and deploy in their backyards according to a specific protocol. The data will improve the NPS national soundscape maps (which need refinement but are already useful for studies of noise as an EJ issue (e.g., this new study).
|How do I measure for marine noise pollution?||@tinangata||over 2 years ago||2||3|
|Off the shelf, DIY kits, sensors or apps for monitoring noise.||@Bronwen||over 2 years ago||3||2|
|When would you choose to monitor noise with an app verses a stand alone monitor?||@stevie||about 3 years ago||0||4|
|What resources are available to help people monitor noise pollution?||@stevie||about 3 years ago||1||10|
|Decibel meters for iPhones?||@warren||almost 4 years ago||0||2|
|Map the quiet places near you using Hush City platform||@Hush_City_Mobile_Lab||almost 2 years ago||3||7|
|Studying the impact of a Cineplex in a residential area||@SSamuel||over 2 years ago||1||7|
|Soaring Riffle||@cfastie||almost 5 years ago||4||4|
|Riffle campout||@cfastie||almost 5 years ago||1||7|
|Spectrometer Peak-Hold||@stoft||almost 5 years ago||0||0|
|Spectrometer Noise Solution?||@stoft||almost 5 years ago||1||4|
|Spectrometer Time Filter||@stoft||almost 5 years ago||0||0|
|Noise by colour||@viechdokter||almost 5 years ago||1||23|
|Spectrometer Noise||@stoft||almost 5 years ago||1||5|
|Attending Frog Church in Violet, Louisiana||@eustatic||about 6 years ago||1||3|
|Map the quiet places near you using Hush City platform||-||-||@Hush_City_Mobile_Lab||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.