Related to various efforts to use smaller kites and balloons to do aerial mapping with lighter cameras, the Mobius Action Cam that many Public Labbers use is great, at ~$70 and ~40 grams, but I'm starting to see GoPro look-alikes show up on Amazon for even less, and with waterproof enclosures and sometimes even Wifi connectivity. I collected a few here, but have folks tried any of these, or have other suggestions for cheap, <100 gram cameras to fly on balloons and kites?
Some I've found include:
- $60, 61g, 2M,5M,8M,12M,16M - https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Waterproof-Wide-Angle-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B01MXXP4EC/
- $53, 1200x1800, 60g - https://www.amazon.com/GBB-Waterproof-Camcorder-Detection-Rechargeable/dp/B01G6GWSJW/ + waterproof case
- $50 12MP, not sure weight - AKASO - https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-Waterproof-Camcorder-Rechargeable-Mounting/dp/B06XHNQ44X/
- $150, 8MP, 72g, GOPro Session - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C80O0ZU/
- Via @bronwen, a bunch here, too: https://beebom.com/gopro-alternatives-2016/
Any help appreciated!
Update: a lot of these listed as 4k or 1080, as in the lead image or on AliExpress are 4032 × 3024 pixels (or 12 megapixels), whether they list HD or 4k (I tested one of each). The images they produce are nice, but not incredibly high quality. Also note that you can use this lens distortion removal tool to undo the notable fisheye distortion.