Public Lab is an open community which collaboratively develops accessible, open source, Do-It-Yourself technologies for investigating local environmental health and justice issues.
Balloon Mapping Kit
This kit, offered for sale by Public Laboratory's nonprofit arm, is the result of experiments in DIY [balloon mapping](http://publiclaboratory.org/tool/balloon-mapping). They were available through the [Balloon Mapping Kits Kickstarter](http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1775485688/balloon-mapping-kits) and now online through Breadpig.
###[Balloon Mapping Kits in the Public Lab store »](http://store.publiclab.org/products/balloon-mapping-kit)###
The kit is based on the more in-depth description of balloon mapping kit materials here: http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/balloon-mapping-materials
* [MapKnitter](https://mapknitter.org) for stitching your aerial photos into online/digital maps
* [The Public Laboratory Archive](/archive) - a repository of open data maps produced mostly with balloons and kites, by independent "grassroots mappers"
* [Register](/join) on this site to take part in the growing Public Laboratory open source community and get support from other balloon mappers
* [Kite mapping](/tool/kite-mapping) is a good alternative to balloons in areas where helium is hard to come by
* Check out [near-infrared photography](/tool/near-infrared-camera) for using your kit with an additional infrared camera to analyze vegetation
###Each kit contains:###
* A [Qualatex 5.5' (170cm) "Cloudbuster" Chloroprene balloon](http://www.qualatex.com/downloads/catalogs/06vbcat/cloudbuster.pdf)
* latex/chloroprene (neoprene) mix, making it UV resistant, fairly tear resistant, and excellent at retaining helium. Two-four days of flights can be had with one filling of helium.
* A custom-wound 8" or 9" hoop winder and 1000' (300m) of 110lb (50kg) line, [from Shanti Kites](http://shantikites.com/single-line-flying/shanti-hoops-yoyo-winders/)
* We tracked these back to the factory and are having them custom wound. No other winder is sold with more than 500' of line.
* [A pair of cotton work gloves palm-coated with rubber](http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1774/=gb4i4a) to get a grip while bringing the balloon in and prevent rope burns.
* Three 170lb Coastlock [Mighty-Mini Snap Swivels](http://www.americanfishingwire.com/mmsnapswivels.asp) we use these because they're the [only ones that are lead free](http://publiclaboratory.org/notes/mathew/1-30-2012/lead-brass-snap-swivels) (one spare)
* Twenty #64 [latex-free rubber bands](http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1986/=gb4i4q). We use these because they don't get brittle in the cold like latex rubber bands. They are for the [camera rig](http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/pet-bottle-rubber-band-rig) (one spare)
* 1.25" diameter [steel ring](http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1425/=gb4i15) for attaching the balloon to the line.
* Ten [reusable cable ties](http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1520/=gb4i1e) for closing the balloon.
* A [carabiner](http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1441/=gb4i15) for mooring.
The kit ships with paper documentation. ([all available on the Guides page for download](http://publiclaboratory.org/guides)) The latest editions of:
* Grassroots Mapping Guide
* Balloon Mapping Quick Start Guide
* Balloon Mapping Flight Checklists and Packing Lists
* Kit contributors list
* CERN Open Hardware License
* Legal Indemnity & Safety warnings
* Welcome to Public Laboratory getting started page
* (not for first KS shipping, but for later kits?) a 1 page [Flight Log](/wiki/mapping-flight-log)
This is important for shipping/online sales:
SKU, Description, Weight
* BPIG-PLOTS-125RING 1.25" Dia. Steel Ring = .05 lbs.
* BPIG-PLOTS-CABTIE 5.5" Reusable Cable Tie = ...