Sky Camera is a prototype Android app (updated now) for attaching to a balloon or kite for taking pictures at a set interval. It was developed by Mohit Meena as part of the 2013 Google Summer of Code program with Public Lab.
It has the following features:
- Android 2.3.3 is supported now.
- Android 3 is required at minimum.
- custom intervalometer to take pictures every X seconds (from 7 seconds up)
- image stability detection to take pictures only when the camera is not moving too much
- auto-emailing to send low-res versions of the photos to the given email address while in the air, over the cell data connection
- auto-emailing of latitude/longitude
- some camera settings adjustments
The comprehensive User Guide can be found here: (http://publiclab.org/notes/mercyorangi/08-16-2014/sky-cam-user-guide)
Planned features include:
- "beep" pulse on interval to synchronize with hi-res cameras
- more compatibility with more phones
- more links to MapKnitter and other Public Lab resources
- low power mode which disables the screen
- more features listed here: https://github.com/publiclab/sky-camera/issues/
You can find the latest version (for android 3.0 or above) here: https://github.com/mercyorangi/sky-camera/blob/branch2/bin/Sky%20Cam.apk
For android 2.3.3, Latest version can be found here: https://github.com/mohit216/Sky-Camera-Android-2.3.3/blob/master/bin/SkyCamera.apk
And the full open source repository (for android 3.0 or above) here: https://github.com/mercyorangi/sky-camera/tree/branch2
and for (for android 2.3.3): https://github.com/mohit216/Sky-Camera-Android-2.3.3