The new Cloud Exporter for MapKnitter uses a cloud-based process to produce full-resolution exported images and map tiles from MapKnitter.org maps.
To use it, shift-drag, shift-click, or long-press (on tablets) the images you want to export, then press the "download" button in the upper left of the screen, as shown here:
Your export will appear under the Exports tab alongside previous exports.
From the Export tab, you can export a map in a variety of formats. If you've changed the map at all since last exporting, you can re-run the export and the previous export outputs will be saved. All formats are generated sequentially, so if you're waiting for a JPG you will have to let all the other formats complete first.
This may take some time - a large map could take as long as an hour or more. Closing the page will not stop the export.
Comparison to the previous export system
What is the same?
- Same: all previous formats are still exported
- Same: closing the page will not stop the export.
- Same: privacy or lack thereof in anonymous maps
What are the differences?
- New: each export is now saved in a list, rather than overwriting previous exports
- New: you must select images in order to export
- New: exports run only on selected images, not all images
- New: where to find the “start export” button
Please help provide feedback here: https://github.com/publiclab/mapknitter/issues/1244
Here is another demo at higher resolution:
Mapknitter Cloud Exporter was one of four main coding projects of 2019's Google’s Community Atlas Grant to Public Lab. These four parts are:
- Redesigning MapKnitter’s overall UI: tour feature, gallery, etc.
- Rewriting the foundation of MapKnitter’s backend to 2019 standards (up from 2012 standards)
- Overhauling and rewriting Leaflet Distortable Image Library for the rubbersheeting we use
- Cloud Exporter!
Sasha, Vladimir, Varun, Sebastian, and others spent several months working on this system in 2019. It connected with this global collaboration involving over a dozen people: https://publiclab.org/notes/warren/07-26-2019/community-atlas-an-around-the-world-collaboration-on-mapknitter :D