The lead image is by Suzanne Lee (watch her TED talk)
- biomaterial means a regenerative material created by living organisms, as contrasted with materials that must be mined or extracted, or require high energy inputs from fossil fuels
- kombucha is a symbiotic community of bacteria and yeast
- kombucha leather is the dried form of the thickened layer that forms over fermenting liquid kombucha
- grow microbial leather that can be sewn or moulded in ways analogous to leather, parchment or homemade paper
- improve our production techniques to gain greater control over the attributes of the final material
- test enhancements of the microbial leather such as coloring or waterproofing
Artists and designers are exploring the potential of microbial leather as a sustainable alternative to the ethically and environmentally problematic use of animal-sourced leather. Parsons Sustainable Systems is helping to advance this research.
Questions can be either frequently asked questions, or "next step" challenges we're looking to solve.
|How durable is kombucha leather?||@lait422||over 1 year ago||0||0|
|How can I waterproof kombucha leather?||@lait422||over 1 year ago||0||1|
|What kinds of surface design / decoration can i apply to kombucha leather?||@liz||over 1 year ago||0||0|
|How do I dye kombucha leather?||@liz||over 1 year ago||0||7|
|What are some techniques for drying kombucha leather?||@liz||over 1 year ago||0||0|
|How can i manipulate kombucha leather?||@liz||over 1 year ago||0||1|
|Does it matter what kind of tea i use to grow kombucha?||@liz||over 1 year ago||0||2|
Activities show how to use this project, step by step.
|Using a home-made Spectrometer to test kombucha readiness||-||-||@mkoistinen||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Grow kombucha leather (Parsons Healthy Materials Lab)||-||-||@liz||-||-||0 replications: Try it »|
|Grow kombucha leather||-||-||@liz||-||-||1 replications: Try it »|
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.