Here's a first attempt to vectorize the design for the mini foldable spectrometer. I had to expand the postcard size to 5x7" but we'll see if we can shrink it back down. Also I added a "window" to put the diffraction grating over. Still to do:
- add dotted lines for folds
- print it and test geometry
- figure out easier way to sturdily form a tube (the flap to close the tube is a little narrow)
- add spectral workbench prism logo
- test slit width
- attempt slit cutting with laser cutter
- try it on different phones for camera focus issues
- add more instructions outside the foldable form (like how to cut and attach a grating)
- try mailing one!
And more... soon! Try it out and post your experiments, let's chip away at this list!
Update: I made some changes after trying out the above design, and added some instructions. The updated file is also attached now.
Update: More changes, showing which are valley folds, and a small illustration of the assembled device.
Update: I lasercut again (photos soon) and made a few more revisions. This should be the final version!! Download the 2.7 version
Update: One more version! I re-did the layout and added some minimal design tweaks, but mainly did this so it would fit a stamp and address without messing up the solid black back-side with postal cruft. Download the 2.8 version