Mathew Lippincott and I have been talking about the Oil Sampling Kit and how to streamline it eventually for mobile use. The Smartphone Spec is designed to accept "expansion packs" and this seemed a good opportunity to develop one which we could prototype 3d-print. It could:
- include built-in lighting
- accept 2 sample containers; a sample and a control
- have completely fixed geometry between the lighting and the samples
- use UV LEDs instead of a blue laser, and
- include a battery and different lights inside the enclosure
Interesting! So I made a quick Sketchup model (attached) pictured above. It's not to scale or ready to print or anything, but I'm just trying to figure out a good orientation and internal layout.
Above, see how the 2 cuvettes are separated by a wall. The "foot" at the back left inserts into the end of the smartphone spec. I've left a cutaway so you can see the inside.
Can you improve this design? Make it printable?