GSOC 2021 PROPOSAL: Education-related usability upgrades
Affiliation: Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology
Location: New Delhi, India
Timezone: Indian Standard Time (UTC +05:30)
Abstract / Summary (<20 words):
The project focuses on the enhancement of the existing content management system. This will involve fixing or improving a collection of systems, features, and issues.
What problem(s) does your project solve?
Currently, the existing content management system encounters few problems due to the growing community of educators. The objective is to tackle a collection of systems, features and issues focused on educational users and involving feedback from the community of the educators. The new features to be added include improvement of autocompletion results, a listing of drafts on profile pages, detailed tooltips on maps, a system for pre-approved posting for students that can bypass the moderation system, and a refined display of coauthored posts on profile pages. These features will make the experience of the users more effective and easy.
Project Goals and their implementations:
- Include Usernames in Autocompletion results:
- The autocompletion results will show the usernames used recently or who were active recently on the website with full wildcard matching.
- This will be easily done with some SQL and API changes.
- Something similar to this.
- Add Drafts listing to profile pages
- Adding a listing of drafts on the profile page of the users which will make it easier for users to find their drafts.
- The User-interface will be based on the Public Lab style guidelines.
- The drafts will be similarly added to the profile page as shown below
- Functionalities to sort the drafts based on the upload date.
- Tooltips to explain the coordinates tags on pages
- Improving the documentation
- Pre-approved signup system for students:
- A system for pre-approved signup invitations for students to create accounts that can bypass the moderation queue.
- These links will be created by educators for specific users.
- Such links will expire in a week.
- These invitations can bypass the moderation queue.
- An invite link should be similar to this, https://publiclab.org/invite?code=12345.
- Enhancement of the co-authored posts on profile pages:
- Addition of refined display of co-authored posts on the profile page.
- Refine the design of the newly launched dashboard:
->Timeline / Milestones:<-->
I have recently learned about Public Labs and become an active member of the Public Lab community. I have contributed to the Plots2 repository of Public Lab by creating these PRs.
I am ready to work 40 - 45 hours weekly to complete the project within the specified time. I will be looking for more issues to work on and learn on the way.