Name : Mridul Nagpal
Github : https://github.com/mridulnagpal
Affiliation : International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad - 500032
Location: Hyderabad, India
Project Title: Map of all Projects
The project I will be doing this summer will be :-
Map of all Projects of PublicLab:
Public Lab is an open community that works online through this interactive wiki where people can pose questions, post their research and reach out to others. Research questions are focused on addressing local issues, and are driven by on-the-ground community work.
These research/wiki notes have some special tags added to them to make them easier to reach and comprehend. My project will be to add some more tags making these notes even better. These notes may be about any event that is going to take place someplace. My project would be to add a tag that would add a map to this note. Other features of the project are following:
- Creating a module for PublicLab to add maps to research/wiki notes
- The module will be available on npm
- It will use an html template to render all the information regarding the location of the event
- Testing of the module will be done using Jasmine
- Privacy features to manage who all can see the location you added
- A map consisting of all the nearby projects by PublicLab using google's geolocation API
- Information about the organizers, requirements, # participants, etc. all available through the map
- Interactive markers to highlight all the places of interest nearby and far out as you pan out
There can be a browseable map to display all of the projects of PublicLab nearby on a piece of map. There will be markers on the place of events, which when clicked will tell about the details of the project, people involved, etc. . We can also link the markers to the page showing the requirements for the project and all about it. You could even have options such as interested so that other people can see the same. We can directly link these maps to the wikis using power tags and let the author input some details regarding the same.
What problem does your project solve?
This project will make the events by PublicLab more easily accessible and provide a better interface to people. The organizer can identify himself as the organizer and can specify the equipments required for the project. We can even link the map to the PublicLab store for the required equipment. This can also help the organizer get an estimate on the number of people attending the event. This will let one explore multiple notes on the basis of location using a single platform.
A prototype for the same:
I will use Agile Development Methodology for this project. Given below is a rough timeline for my project, subject to change by mentor intervention:
- Community Bonding period (22 April - 23 May): I will go through the source code of PublicLab.Editor( https://github.com/publiclab/PublicLab.Editor/), Inline Markdown Editor (https://github.com/publiclab/inline-markdown-editor) and polish my approach for this project.
- Week 1 (23 May - 29 May): Creating a standardized User location storing system which store a User's location to his/her profile.
- Week 2 (30 May - 5 June): Design and implement a display for displaying maps on a User's profile.
- Week 3 (6 June - 12 June): Integrating the maps to backend system to store locations.
- Week 4 (13 June - 19 June): Enable viewing people using location.
- Week 5 (20 June - 26 June): Using Jasmine to write the controller tests for the functionality and other unit tests required. And fixing the bugs so far.
Mid term evaluation
- Week 6 (27 June - 3 July): Adding maps to wiki/research noted as well.
- Week 7 (4 July - 10 July): Adding external information such as gear required, organizers, etc. to any event notes' map.
- Week 8 (11 July - 17 July): Fixing any bugs/Buffer time
- Week 9 (18 July - 31 July): Building a Location Notification system.
- Week 11 (1 Aug - 15 Aug): Continuing with the notification system (adding tests using Jasmine, validation and perfecting the system).
- Week 12 (15 Aug - 29 Aug): Buffer Time.
Final term Evaluation are submitted to Google
All the resources I will be requiring are on the internet such as PublicLab.Editor, Jasmine documentation, etc. And I would of course require the guidance of my mentor.
I have forked and built plots2. I have been contributing to it for a little time as well. All tests pass, I have it set up on my local and it works smoothly.
Here are all of my PR's:
And some more...
I have been part of National Graphics Competition and scored a grade A for a project which included 3 members. I find it easy to mix up with people and am comfortable to work in a team. I also have been building a web project for my college with my team.
Being in college under the load of assignment I do not get much time to think about the better of the world. Therefore I think this would be the best platform for me to atleast do something for the greater good rather than my own.
I would try my level best to make whole of my project well documented and easy for users to interact with. I will make sure that LocationTags using maps will be easy to interact with.
I understand that this project is equivalent to a full time summer job and will work on it according the timeline I have mentioned above.