Name : Mridul Nagpal
Github : https://github.com/mridulnagpal
Affiliation : International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad - 500032
Location: Hyderabad, India
Project Title: Leaflet Blurred Location
The project I will be doing this summer will be :-
Leaflet Blurred Location:
This summer we will be enhancing the present Leaflet Blurred Location library. We will first be adding a Display library name Leaflet Blurred Location Display (already exists with basic functioning https://publiclab.org/notes/warren/02-28-2017/call-for-proposals). We can also start connecting people on the basis of the location they enter. We can switch to other geolocation API to make it faster. Option to subscribe to specific locations as well linked with email notifications. Some brief summary points are as follows:
1. Connect people on the basis of location they enter.
2. Change geolocation API
3. Subscription to specific regions (with email notifications)
4. Add information about projects to maps like title, # of contributors, etc.
1. Connect people on the basis of their location they enter - We will have some bins on the basis of precision the user enters and will have a database for all the projects happening, whenever a user enter his lat-lng using leaflet blurred location, we will cross check with our database and either create a bin or add the user to an existing bin depending on the precision, then if there are any updates on any project in that bin, we notify all the people belonging to that bin. We can also add an option to connect among other people in that region(bin), not only projects.
2. Change geolocation API - Change our currently used google geolocation API to https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-geocoder or some other API, and explore any extra features it might provide us.
3. Subscription to specific regions - Even if a user is not in a region/bin, he/she can subscribe to that region/bin and will be added to that bin and treated like all other people in that bin.
4. Add information about projects to maps - This will include adding information about any project inside a region/bin, this information will help in creating emails to be sent to the users subscribed to the bin, thus helping them understand more about the project.
About existing leaflet blurred location:
The library already exists with many functionalities and we will be adding to those functionalities. There is a live demo for leaflet blurred location hosted live from the gh-pages branch of the github repo. I will be making changes to that repo and maintain a constant demo for all the things I implement in the library. The current live demo is hosted at https://publiclab.github.io/leaflet-blurred-location/examples/ . All the visual changes can be seen on the demo page and all the backend functionalities can be checked using the console. The existing repo for leaflet blurred location is present at https://github.com/publiclab/leaflet-blurred-location. The basic functioning of the existing library can be seen in the documentation present in the repo as well.