This activity is for anyone who is looking to contribute to Public Lab software without using a command line or having any special computer or setup. This approach works as long as your changes are simple -- this works best for just changes to text or HTML, not executable code.
1. Get a [Github account](https://github.com).
2. Visit the repository (such as https://github.com/publiclab/plots2) you want to contribute to, and **fork it** with the button to the upper right.
3. Find the file you want to edit in your own fork. It'll be on a page (this won't exist until you fork) at a URL like `https://github.com/<yournamehere>/plots2/blob/master/app/views/layouts/_header.html.erb`, but you could navigate to it through Github's file browsing interface as well.
4. Press the pencil button in the upper right:
5. Edit the code, then below, create a pull request with your new change (give it a name like 'yourname-header-tweaks'):
At this point, we'll see your pull request, provide feedback, test it out, and hopefully integrate it. Things may get more complex, but this is a great starting point. As a next step, check out Github's own really great tutorial, located at https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/. :D