If you would like to start a mailing list for your region or community, follow these easy steps to get the list started:
- Go to Google Groups (groups.google.com). Click on "New Group".
- Choose a name like "plots-neworleans" or "plots-gulfcoast" as the name of your list
- Add a description about the group such as "events and announcements for Boston-area PLOTS community"
- Make it open for anyone to join and see the content
- Allow people to join without moderation (it gets old pretty fast)
- Send an invite to whoever you'd like to have join the list
- Designate a couple of moderators to coordinate and combat spam. Share responsibility!
Some easy ways to publicize your mailing list:
- Announce it on the main email@example.com mailing list!
- At events, hand around a sheet of paper for people to leave their email address. You can them send them a Google Group invite later.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get the list added to the website signup form at http://publiclaboratory.org/user/register (must not be logged in to see this page)
- Add your list to the mailing list wiki page: http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/mailing-lists
And remember... local mailing lists should be for event organization and logistics -- moderators are also supposed to encourage actual research discussions to move to the main publiclaboratory list or to research notes on the website. We don't want that kind of discussion to be siloed!