We asked each of the Kickstarter backer levels what they plan to do once they receive their spectrometer. Backers at the $400 level are receiving both the mini-foldable spectrometer and the desktop spectrometer next week (as well as the countertop and mobile spectrometers in February). Backers at the $200 level are receiving the educational six-pack of desktop spectrometers. Here's some of the ideas that people listed from the two backer tier.
Related to light
- The elematary school will be using it as part of the light and shadow learning modules in grade 3/4.
Related to Water and Soil
- analyze soil organic matter and mineralogy, plant nutrients
- Water and plant extract samples
- Soil sampling in archaeology
- There are two environmental groups in Puerto Rico I work with & support which can use the spectrometers to monitor water quality pursuant to the care & restoration of coral reefs: Grupo VIDAS & Coral Reef Investigation & Conservation Alliance
- Geotechnical applications
Related to Food and Drink
- Test coffee with it!
- What's in our food?
- Foodstuff testing
- Analyze food spectra
Related to Household items
- Printing (Ink analysis, Paper analysis, Brightener detection)
- Ink development
- Analysing construction material samples
Related to biology and chemistry
- Mineral identification
- See how well it works in plant stress research
- Vegetation condition. Chlorophyll and nitrogen content of leaves. Leaf structural composition.
- Examine feces
- Identify plastics for recycling through 3D printer
Related to Chemicals (general)
- Due to time constraints will be playing with an eye toward contaminants and sediments
- Testing at various oil and gas sites
- Industrial Chemical Analysis
Related to Education
- Teach the uses of spectrometry
- Teach the younger people in my family what science can do and why it is important.
- I plan to use the gear in my (public) science talks and workshops at educational conferences and my astronomy club.
- We plan to test them, verify its functioning and then donate it to an educational institute's laboratory.
- Use it for demonstrations/teaching tool
- Incorporate them into teaching & learning
- Doing inquiry with middle/high school students.
- One for the husband, one for the kids and four for the school in Oakland, CA
- Geeking out :)
- Sending it to Zimbabwe....