Public Lab Research note

The user 'dhaffnersr' has been placed in moderation and will not be able to respond to comments.

Chlorophyll extract using prolight LED (1W 3.4vdc 300mA)

by dhaffnersr | April 11, 2016 16:52 11 Apr 16:52 | #12957 | #12957

I followed this person’s research (Artxy- but altered slightly the method of the solvent preparation and ended up dissolving most of the chlorophyll A and B, but retained a large quantity of B-carotene.

The concentrations of chlorophyll (a)(b) were extremely low, although there peaks showed on the data but as little bleeps. The B-carotene though was clearly extracted in a big way since it is a non-polar compound, so the ethyl acetate solvent was able to do most of the work extracting it.



Below are the 2 cuvettes containing the samples, the first mainly chlorophyll and the second shows that B-carotene settled at the bottom


This next pic is the sample after solvent preparation and filtering into a test tube, again you can clearly see the two distinct separation layers, top layer of course is chlorophyll and the bottom is B-carotene.


Some discussion on all this, I expected to have successful separation because I have done this before several times before I did it officially online, this time though I think I let the sample sit too long in the solution (a full 24 hrs.) I tried different dilutions but the chlorophyll A-B just showed up as minute concentrations and appeared as very small spikes on the data graph. Everything that I have studied on this subject, ie,. spectrometry, and analytical chemistry suggests that concentrations below 0.2 are very suspect.

So for this study, my focus was on the successful extraction of B-carotene and my subsequent data to support that assertion.

As in the study that was done in the reference I stated earlier, my data was spot on in places such as the predicted peaks for B-carotene and also for chlorophyll A-B, I will include this data in a future research post.

Some conclusions, first, is this spectrometer kit version 2.5, with the slight modifications I have made with slit width and DVD grating, I have to say, it is really a fine instrument within it's range. Point two, cuvette holder design, VERY important, I have found that enclosing at least 75 percent of the cuvette re-directs the light back to it and increases the intensity of fluorescence, on my design the side of the cuvette that faces the slit is 12mm square, it makes a difference.



Login to comment.