Mathew provided the filter switcher. Both sides of the switch are covered with a protective film that I have not bothered to remove yet. There are 5 separate parts. All of the parts come out after removing the 4 screws (not shown). The X shaped part is metal with internal threads for mounting the filter switch. The other black material is plastic. The solenoid is a split coil with magnet latching. In other words the lever is held at one side or the other by a weak magnet. You can easily change the filter with a hard shake in the appropriate direction.
I closely inspected the filter holder to determine how the clear (Infra Red pass) filter was attached. There were 4 spots of glue with 2 spots on 2 opposite edges. I placed the glue side down on the paper towel which is over a hard surface and used the side of the forceps to gently press out the clear filter. The removed filter is just visible above its holder.
Questions and next steps
- What is the resistance of the coil? 19.7 ohm
- How to mount the visible filter?
- What to use for the IR pass filter?
- What are the dimensions of the new filter? 8.1 x 8.0 mm (probably square)
- How to mount the switch to my PowerShot A800?
- How to switch the filter? cheap H bridge