After a busy spring and early summer, the kits team spent August focused on planning for fall. Over the next few months we’re looking forward to introducing some new features, resources and kits, so stay tuned for news about:
- Babylegs Trawl kits for microplastics research.
- A partnership on soil-testing kits from our colleagues at Citizen Science Community Resources
- Updates about @nshapiros 's formaldehyde remediation work, and a chance to be involved in the prototyping process.
- New educational and classroom bundles, publications and kit demonstrations.
- Lead detection tools and advocacy work with @read_holman (we'll be growing our wiki here)
Our Community Microscopes have begun shipping! Kickstarter Early Bird and Intro Kit rewards have shipped! If you missed the chance to get a kit through the Kickstarter campaign, never fear, all variants are now available for preorder in the store.
If you are wondering what you can do with your new microscope, or are interested in how microscopes in general can be used in community research, we can help! Please join us online at our next Open Hour on September 10th for a chance to work through first steps in getting started-- from preparing and focusing on your first slides to adjusting your setup for different kinds of viewing. We'll explore ways that images and video of very small things can be used in environmental advocacy, and discuss ways that tools, such as open-source microscopes, can be used to support this work.
Back to School Sale!
Our Lego Spectrometer Kit is currently ON SALE for $29 (usually $47). This replaces the older model of our Desktop Spectrometer Kit, which is being phased out. Supplies of the cool, retro version of the Desktop Kit are now quite limited, so this may be your last chance to add the cardboard desktop kit to your collection (the regular Foldable Spectrometers remain in stock).
As always, if you have a hardware project that you think would make a great Public Lab kit, consider making it a Community Kit! Read more about how to get involved over on the Kits Page, or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.