Start Date: Mid June 2019
Location: New Orleans, LA
Terms: Full time
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community-- supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--that develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
This position is based in New Orleans and will be responsible for managing the business and operations of the Public Lab nonprofit. Day-to-day tasks include bookkeeping and financial management, supporting human resources and keeping a multi-office, remote team organized through meeting coordination and internal staff communications. The goal of this position is to improve and maintain efficiency and productivity of the organization, and to oversee the management and coordination of fiscal activities for Public Lab. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Working with our outside accountant to manage the day-to-day bookkeeping processes at Public Lab including monthly closes, invoicing, reimbursements, and donation and sales processing.
- Oversee all financial reporting activities for the organization, such as: running balance sheet and profit and loss reports, reporting on organizational and grant budgets and compiling financial reports.
- Maintain processes to provide timely financial and operational information to the Executive Director, staff and Board of Directors.
- Support the development of Public Lab's annual budget and program budgets.
- Manage the financial relationship with an organization Public Lab fiscally sponsors, including reporting and fund disbursement.
- Serve as a liaison to our CPA firm and manage the yearly audit process.
- Support project managers in increasing their capacity for management of grant budgets.
- Ensure compliance with rules from granting organizations.
- Identify and communicate changes that could increase the efficiency of financial workflows to support stronger reporting practices and organizational growth.
- Maintain and administer the relationship with Public Lab's third-party payroll and benefits provider.
- Manage internal staff requests related to HR including time keeping and requests for time away.
- Facilitate staff trainings, reviews, onboarding and departure from the organization.
- Manage and update the employee handbook, staff policy and procedure documents and employee files.
- Manage the hiring and training processes for new staff members.
- Draft and coordinate the completion of contracts and MOUs with partners, contractors and fellows.
- Support activities related to monthly and quarterly meetings with the Board of Directors and coordinate logistics for staff meetings and retreats.
- In coordination with our payroll company and CPA firm, ensure compliance with reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Maintain organization insurance policies and update as necessary.
- Support Public Lab program staff in event logistics and scheduling.
A Bachelor's degree or equivalent in finance, business or other related field is preferred and 3-5 years of demonstrated job experience in a related field is required.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience at organizations with budgets around $1 million.
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting including grant tracking and reporting.
- Experience with organization finances that include multiple funding sources (grants, memberships, earned revenue) for different organizational programs.
Skills, Knowledge, and Characteristics Required
- Expertise in using financial software including QuickBooks (online edition) for nonprofits, Expensify and Bill.com.
- Proficiency in using a variety of collaborative software such as Slack, Google Docs, and Dropbox.
- Experience using CRM databases such as Salesforce.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- The ability to balance multiple competing tasks and requests and enjoyment from working efficiently towards goals and deadlines.
- A desire for and fulfillment from working on a team, but also an ability to work independently on job tasks.
- Incredible interpersonal skills, demonstrating great communication, kindness, respect, and patience within our collaborative work environment.
- An enjoyment of problem solving and the ability to put this to use in areas where organizational operations could be improved.
- Willingness to work remotely with colleagues, including your manager.
Compensation is between $40,000-$50,000, based on experience and qualifications. Public Lab offers a benefits package that includes four weeks starting vacation time in addition to federal holidays and personal days, 75% coverage of health benefits, a 401k and paid sabbaticals. This job requires occasional travel and work outside regular business hours.
Please send a single document containing a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 19, 2019. No phone calls please.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. We encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.