Start Date: Early May 2018
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Terms: Full time
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community -- supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit -- which develops and applies open source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively reimagine the human relationship with the environment.
The Development and Communications Manager is responsible for maintaining and administering the daily activities of Public Lab fundraising and external communications. This position manages current Public Lab grants, writes material for fundraising asks and development communication, and creates workflows for external facing communication outlets including Public Lab's monthly newsletter, blog, social media accounts and print publication. This position works closely with the Executive Director, playing an important role in supporting Public Lab's capacity by coordinating development and communication efforts, researching funding opportunities, and growing and maintaining the individual donor base.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for:
- Grants: Writing, reporting and management of private, corporate and government funding. You will be responsible for drafting narratives for grant proposals and reports, ensuring reports are clearly written and address donor agreements and guidelines. You will coordinate gathering information and data from program staff to complete reports and proposals. You will manage reporting deadlines and requirements using a CRM.
- Individual giving: You will create communication for individual donors and members that highlights the compelling story of Public Lab work. You will be responsible for managing individual donor relations through tracking donations, writing appeals and acknowledgement letters and ensuring donor premium fulfillment is complete.
- Monitoring: You will work with team members to ensure grant deadlines and deliverables are met and will be responsible for maintaining donor records. You will coordinate with team members on managing grant budgets with support from our accounting team.
- Research: You will research funding opportunities and think about new funding streams for Public Lab from private foundations, government agencies, multilateral organizations, corporate giving programs, and individuals.
- Communications: You will develop outward facing publications and materials-- blogs, newsletter, the Community Science Forum (our print publication), and management of social media accounts-- to increase awareness and understanding of Public Lab's mission, from ideation through design, copy editing, and production. You will ensure the quality and accuracy of donor and public-facing communications, updates, and reports and will manage a portfolio of communication projects completed in both print and digital formats, including annual reports, project reports, and reports to the Board of Directors.
- Fiscal sponsorship support: You will complete support activities to the organizations for which Public Lab acts as a fiscal sponsor, including providing financial reports and monitoring grant progress, prospecting, and budget spend down to ensure they align with approved MOU.
- Community support: You will work with staff to provide assistance and resources to Public Lab community members when they seek fundraising and partnership development support.
- Administrative support: You will providing general support for administrative tasks (as defined by policies and procedures).
- You will maintain and adhere to nonprofit policies and procedures, Public Lab values and the Code of Conduct.
A Bachelor's degree is preferred and 2-3 years of demonstrated job experience in a related field is required. Experience in organizations that rely on multiple funding sources (grants, memberships, earned revenue) for different organizational programs is strongly preferred.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working at nonprofit organizations with budgets around $1 million+.
- Knowledge of grant tracking and reporting.
- Experience in science, environment or technology communications.
Skills, Knowledge, and Characteristics Required
- Dynamic communication skills -- in written, verbal and online formats; you should be able to translate the work of Public Lab to different audiences.
- Enthusiasm for and dedication to the Public Lab mission.
- Integrity in all situations.
- Proficiency in using a variety of collaborative software such as Slack, Google Docs, and Dropbox.
- Experience using CRM databases.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- The ability to balance multiple competing tasks and requests, and enjoyment from working efficiently towards goals and deadlines.
- A desire for and fulfillment from working on a team, but also an ability to work independently on job tasks.
- Incredible interpersonal skills, demonstrating great communication, kindness, respect, and patience within our collaborative work environment.
- An enjoyment of problem solving and the ability to put this to use in areas where organizational operations could be improved.
- Willingness to work remotely with colleagues, including your manager.
Compensation is between $40,000-$50,000, based on experience and qualifications. Public Lab offers a benefits packages that includes four weeks starting vacation time in addition to federal holidays and personal days, 75% coverage of health benefits, and a 401k. This job requires occasional work outside regular business hours.
Please send a single document containing a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2018. No phone calls please. If you are asked for an interview, a writing sample will be required.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. We encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.