Start Date: Mid-April 2015 Location: New Orleans, LA Terms: 15-20 hours weekly
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community--supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
This position is based in New Orleans and will be responsible for supporting the core functions of the Public Lab nonprofit. Day to day tasks include working with staff members on organizing events, administrative, accounting and human resource support and keeping a four office, remote team organized.
This position will work with the Executive Director. Because of his/her involvement in matters related to their responsibilities the Administrator would also be required to communicate frequently with the other Directors.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Provide daily support to the Executive Director
- Administrative support including processing reimbursements, organizing staff retreats, booking travel, supporting the kits program and scheduling meetings.
- Human resources support including maintaining organization policies and handbooks, payroll, timesheets and managing the benefits program.
- Assist with bookkeeping/accounting functions as appropriate
- Manage development of annual report
- Draft organization communications such as newsletters
- May be called upon to assist with special projects and assume responsibility for the development, administration, and promotion of specific projects, as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Demonstrated 2-3 years experience working in a dynamic team environment. Interest and enthusiasm for corresponding between four regional offices. Although past experience is desirable, at minimum a strong interest in supporting a network with many moving components is required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Incredible organization skills required
- Knowledge of Google Docs, Dropbox, MS Office required.
- Knowledge and appreciation of Public Lab (community & nonprofit), its mission, its programs and services, and the ability to communicate them effectively.
- Excellent communication skills–in written, verbal and online formats.
- Ability to work collaboratively, both in-person and with remote co-workers, to envision and promote positive change, and to be supportive of others.
- Excellent self-organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to identify and solve problems as a team member, and to make decisions and involve others in the decision-making process where appropriate.
- Ability to create a work environment that fosters shared goals and objectives, and to be part of a cohesive online and offline community.
Compensation based on experience and qualifications. Please send a cover letter and resume to Shannon@publiclab.org by March 23, 2015. No phone calls please.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. We encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.