Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science: Layout Editor
Start Date: Late March 2014
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community--supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
We are looking for someone to take over the Grassroots Mapping Forum editor and layout roles, as well as a few small design projects throughout the year. Our ideal candidate is a Public Lab community member with writing and editing experience and graphics experience as well as a proficiency with Adobe InDesign. The contract role will have roughly $6,000/year in work.
Grassroots Mapping Forum
- Planning article length with authors using the GMF template system
- Coordinating and encouraging writers to complete submissions on time
- Collecting image resources in print-quality sizes
- Processing images for print in Photoshop
- Laying articles out in InDesign
- Reviewing with community before production of final document
- Produced in the early Spring of each year, design and layout of 8.5” x 11” document and web prep.
- Primarily digital publications, may include items such as maps book, packaging and instructions, sample handout and physical logbook for field sampling.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Excellent communication skills–in written, verbal and online formats.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow project budgets
- Ability to collaborate on writing activities amongst a highly diverse community of people from many different fields and experience sets.
- Knowledge and appreciation of Public Lab (community & nonprofit), its mission, its programs and services, and the ability to communicate them effectively.
Please send a cover letter, resume and a link to your website with work examples to Shannon@publiclab.org by March 21, 2014. No phone calls please.