Public Lab is open for anyone to join -- please sign up! However, 7 staff members run the Public Lab non-profit organization, which supports the open research community with digital infrastructure, building organizational partnerships, community development, planning and executing organization-wide events such as barnraisings and conferences, fundraising, and facilitating open source publication of the community's work, along with a variety of other tasks. The staff includes:
- Liz Barry: Director of Urban Environments. Director of TreeKIT; Faculty at Parsons, Pratt, Columbia. Urban designer and landscape architect, SOM 2007-09
- Becki Chall: Development Manager. Development Assistant, Global Green USA 2009-2012; Environmental Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton 2006-2008; MA International Development Studies, The George Washington University; BA Environmental Studies, University of Michigan
- Shannon Dosemagen: President and Director of Outreach and Partnerships. Researcher and Ethnographer, Louisiana State University Anthropology and Geography Dept. 2011-2012; Oil Spill Response Director, Louisiana Bucket Brigade 2009-11; Grassroots Mapping Gulf Coast Coordinator; M.S. Anthropology 2009
- Noah Hochman: Retail Fulfillment Coordinator. Organizer/Activist Portland Rising Tide 2010-2013; Legal SpokePerson, Portland Action Lab 2011-2012; Environmental Consultant, AEI Consultants 2009. B.S. Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning, UC Davis 2009.
- Stewart Long: Director of Geography and Data. GonzoEarth mapping services, Grassroots Mapping Gulf Coast map processing & publication lead
- Mathew Lippincott: Director of Production. Artist and Designer, Co-Founder & Partner,MDML; B.A. Oberlin College
- Jeffrey Warren: Research Coordinator. Center for Civic Media Fellow, 2008-10; Partner & co-founder, Vestal Design; B.A. Yale; M.S. MIT, 2010; Cartographer
Public Lab was co-founded in 2011 by Liz Barry, Shannon Dosemagen, Adam Griffith, Mathew Lippincott, Stewart Long, Jeff Warren and Sara Wylie.