2015 Annual Barnraising, "Building networks across regions"November 20-22nd in Cocodrie, Louisiana!
Absolute Basic Logistics
In order to catch our shuttle out to LUMCON, you have to arrive at New Orleans airport (MSY) before 6:00pm on Thursday afternoon November 19.
Our shuttle leaves LUMCON Sunday afternoon November 22 in time to get you to evening flight leaving at 6:00pm or after, read below on options to stay sunday night in New Orleans and fly back Monday AM.
On this page:
- Registering and ticket options
- Registration closing dates
- Event costs and discount options
- Event times and location
- Van options
- Driving and ride-sharing
- Need to stay Sunday?
- Packing List and info on LUMCON
- Other event options
- Reading group
- Outreach tools
What is a Public Lab Barnraising?
The Public Lab Barnraising is the closest thing we have to a Public Lab conference -- but with an emphasis on "doing stuff together" rather than just presenting/talking. We come together to develop tools, toolkits, supporting materials such as guides and tutorials, test the tools and develop new research directions and projects. The Annual Barnraising event is held each fall in Louisiana.
This year the event will be held from November 20-22nd at LUMCON in Cocodrie, Louisiana. The theme of this year's event is "Building networks across regions." Join us for this exciting weekend!
Dates, times and location of the Barnraising
The Barnraising will begin on Friday, November 22nd at 9:00am. Most people come in on Thursday and stay with us Thursday night at LUMCON.
Registering for the 2015 Annual Barnraising
How do I register?
This year we are using Eventbrite for registration. Some of the questions in your registration you might not be able to answer yet (ie travel plans etc). But, your registration questions are editable and you can update it as your plans develop. However: Be sure that you order all the days/activities that you want to do when you register (these are the ticket options). To add on after you would need to fill out a whole new form. Each person who will be coming to the event needs to register individually. Questions? email email@example.com
About the ticket options:
Be sure to register for the days you will be attending. The typical registration will include 4 tickets: Thursday Night, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
For those who are just joining us for the day pick the day-tripper ticket option (note LUMCON is 2 hours from New Orleans and we recommend you stay with us!)
Other tickets available are: for the kayaking trip which will happen Friday afternoon and for Public Lab organizers who will be attending the Organizer Summit on Thursday the 19th.
Registration closing dates
- October 8th: Early registration closes (10$/day) after the 8th prices go up to $15/day this includes food and housing.
- November 9th: Registration for overnight Barnraisers will close this is for LUMCON housing purposes.
- November 17th: Registration for day trippers will close (if you don't register after this date, but still wish to join us for a day or two, that's fine, but bring your lunch!)
Event costs and discount options:
Basically, if you get yourself to the New Orleans airport, we'll cover the rest -- shuttle transport out to (and back from) the field research station LUMCON, three meals a day plus snacks, and cost of lodging -- for only $10 a day ($15 after October 8th)! This year we are asking people to pay in advance (so we don't have to track you down at the event). However, we still recognize that not everyone can pay the suggested daily amount. So there are discount options!
- FoodCom: Anyone who registers to be on FoodCom (the committee who helps organize and run meals and snacks) will get a 30% discount. Keep in mind this comes with responsibilities at the event. (if this sounds like you, use the discount code FoodCom on your registration)
- Register early: Now until October 8th, Barnraising tickets are only $10 a day. On October 9th, they will go up to $15 a day.
- Travel stipends: If travel costs will keep you from joining us, apply for travel a travel stipend using this form. These stipends are limited, and preference will be given to first time Barnraisers.
- If you require more off your registration email firstname.lastname@example.org. Money should not keep you from attending this event!
Logistics and traveling options
Event times and location The Barnraising is hosted at LUMCON (Louisiana University Marine Consortium) in Cocodrie Louisiana. LUMCON is about a two hour drive from New Orleans. The Barnraising will begin Friday, November 20th at 9:00am. Most people choose to stay the Thursday night before at LUMCON. The event will conclude Sunday afternoon around 3:00 leaving time for people to travel to the airport to catch later flights.
The Organizer's Summit is hosted the day before the Barnraising for Public Lab Organizers. The summit will begin Thursday, November 19th at 9:00am. Organizers are encouraged to come into New Orleans on Wednesday the 18th and stay with us at LUMCON that evening.
Housing The event is hosted at LUMCON, a beautiful research center on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico where the land meets the water. The facilities there are dorm style, so plan on having a roommate and a bunk (2-4 people). The visitor's handbook outlines the facilities and the policies of LUMCON.
Childcare Bring the kids! This year we are organizing a childcare co-op so that parents can attend the barnraising without having to leave the babies and kids behind. We can accommodate all ages from babies to older kids. This will take a little advance planning, so if you are considering taking advantage of this, please email Catherine or someone on BABYCOM with the age/s of your kid/s and the dates you plan on attending.
Van options We will offer three van pickups on Thursday, November 19th for anyone planning on flying into MSY. The last van will leave New Orleans at 6:30pm. If you are getting in after that, you will need to make other arrangements to get down to LUMCON. Register for a van on your eventbrite registration form. Van Registration will close Monday, November 9th.
For organizers attending the Organizer's summit we will have the same van options on Wednesday, November 18th. You must be in by 6:30pm for a van ride to LUMCON.
Driving and ride-sharing Driving to LUMCON? That's great! Here are directions. Be sure to mention in your registration if you can take others!
Need to stay Sunday For those flying in from out of town, we recognize Sunday evening flights can be expensive. We have limited space to put people up for Sunday night. For those of you who need to stay, there is an additional housing cost of $20 on your registration. Again this space is limited so register early! We will be able to bring you to the airport on Monday. If you are staying in New Orleans past Sunday, you will need to find other accommodations and transportation.
Communications: We will be using the Public Lab Barnraising google group for communications on the event. If you're not on this group, join on!
Other event options
- This year we will be offering childcare for those who would like it! Please be sure to specify on your registration form
- We have a kayak trip booked for Friday, from 12:30-2. Register for this trip on the eventbrite page. Registration Limited!
- Get excited for a traditional Louisiana boil Friday evening!!! (crawfish, crab or shrimp tbd)
Reading Group For those interested in the Reading Group, there are a few suggested readings to prompt a session or good evening discussion. So far the selections that have floated to the top are:
- "A Field Guide to Bacteria" by Betsey Dexter Dyer.
- "Are we all scientific experts now?" by Harry Collins.
- A doc you can use to share out about the Barnraising!
- Add in who you've done outreach to on this doc. Check out the tabs on the bottom.
Join a Committee
(add your name to a committee of your choosing!)
FoodCom: Help with planing meals and making sure they get made! FoodCom members can get a 30% discount on registration.
- Dan Beavers
- Shreya Subramani
- Bronwen Densmore
BabyCOM: Activities for youth and childcare for the young-ones.
- Catherine D'Ignazio
FunCom: Help with planning and initiating evening activities!
BeerCom: Help to organize any alcohol people would like for the evenings over the course of the Barnraising. Make sure we're abiding by LUMCON's alcohol policy.
GearCom: Track down what people are planning on bringing and help to make a master list so we know what's coming!
DotCom: Into social media? This one's for you! Help us tweet/ instagram /facebook /share out about the event!
- Bronwen Densmore
- VJ pixel
Post session ideas below!
Editing the wiki and add your session ideas below:
Learn more about our past Barnraisings:
- 2015 Midwest Regional Barnraising: Chicago, Illinois
- 2014 Barnrasing: Cocodrie, Louisiana
- 2014 Northeast Regional Barnraising: Plymouth, Massachusetts
- 2013 Barnraising: New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2012 Barnraising: Cocodrie, Louisiana
- 2011 Barnraising: Asheville, North Carolina
***About Regional Barnraisings: The first Regional Barnraising was held in Spring, 2014 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. This was a great way to draw new Public Labbers in, focus on regional issues and cater to people who are unable to travel to our yearly Barnraising in Louisiana.
Recognizing the growth of the Public Lab Midwest community, the second annual Regional Barnraising was held in the summer of 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. Midwest projects such as hydrogen sulfide sensing, petcoke mapping and dust monitoring laid the groundwork for a fantastic and dynamic regional event.
FoodCom: supporting documentation