Somerville is part of the Northeast region.
Image above by @liz
The Public Lab chapter in Somerville is currently hosted out of the p.irateship, a coworking and hacking space at 438 Somerville Ave -- but folks have also held events at or near Parts and Crafts (above).
In Somerville, we've been interested in
- measuring vegetation health using near-infrared cameras
- detecting heat leaks with cheap, DIY thermal photography, allowing for better winterization and heating bill savings
- investigating waste flows, such as where our trash goes -- with Pablo Rey from Basurama.org
- check out this map of a landfill in Saugus, MA which we made in late 2011
- improving the DIY spectrometer for investigating oil and tar contamination (mainly for use at the Gowanus Canal and along the Gulf Coast
Above: a kite map of the Saugus incinerator ash landfill, where most of the Boston area's trash ends up.
We occasionally have meetups at the Pirateship, so get in touch on the mailing list if you're interested in participating in or organizing a local meetup.