Staff call notes 2 24 2012
Friday February 24, 2012
- AS220-workshop, dinner talk, summer Public Laboratory research group, printing circuit board there.
- East Harlem Tutorial Program - Sara - contact with Jennifer.
- P&C and Nadya’s thermal flashlight circuit designs--winterization investigations.
- H2S collaboration at URI- fume hood and glove box
- kirk at RPI interested in studying us? encourage him to do a march madness event and to talk to mat.
Recent & Upcoming events
- 2010 google summer of code deadline in 2 weeks, Mentor apps due March 9
- http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/gsoc-2012 - filling out our mentor app is priority-sara-like to see if we can get a wellwatch intern too? Let me know how to proceed?
- SF I Am Crime: Art on the Edge of Law! http://www.somarts.org/iamcrime/
- SXSW-- what tools to demo, how many fights/helium
- support- feed contacts for mapping back to other people
- how to get people to stick through mapping part, or how to matchmake cartographers with those who need map stitching
- Stewart put email out to listserve
- Sara will make thermal flashlight how to make video?
- Shan at Tulane env. law summit and Gulf Gathering next week
- March Mapping Madness- Vancouver, Austin, NY, Boston, DC, Philly (sara could travel)...email out to GM mailing list and surveys for interest (sam lead in Socal)- organize on the website- add to March Madness page- get involved box- so someone can just sign up: for real world, leading a workshop, or virtual meetup
- Virtual meet-ups for how to stitch, also for matchmaking mappers with needy groups, Stu lead
- announce, make cohesive webpage for “get involved”
- create a web form or Doodle to gauge interest
- possible NYC location partner StudioX
- need: e-mail lists and surveys-
- identify people who want mapping matchmaking, help them identify collaborative sites
- Shannon and Stu coordinate on this with Mat in the loop
- Spectrometer presentation at Parsons March 5, theme of “Thingness of Energy” - Jeff help needed. WellWatch - Sara.
- RPI conference on citizen science March 15 deadline
- I would be interested too. -mathew / stewart
- Sara/Shannon update on UCL citizen cyber science conference
- got “most interesting student project” award.
- http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/balloon-mapping-kit-retail - list of things going into each kit- Mathew set up meeting with Topher
- Thursday next week
- Grassroots Mapping Forum:
- planning sections: http://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1nv8Xo5jlNTj--7_r_6ndbjEAMV3lUY-b2U-6IHn7zZI%2Fedit (because this gets copied into a wiki page, we need full URLs)
- Look into nonprofit shipping/mailing prices
- Editor from list, ask Manpriya
- or divide up editorial for the three sections (editorial & notes, site feature, tool feature)
- Should we change the name? long term consideration.
- Stewart/adam date naming convention
- MapMill -
- FTP issues and generally issues related to sysadmin need (only 2-3 gb of space on the server)
- need for MapMill admins (there is no other way to get images into mapmill and has never been)
- For GSoC?
- propose Amazon S3-backed bulk upload based on a hypr3d-style uploader, visual archive. (s3 is pretty expensive),
- chain of custody (perhaps not get too ambitious) (from the SD card to the server)
- image checksumming that you take a picture of?
- Github feature request for site profile attributes, what tools you know
- Archive for stories?
- Thermal Flashlight wiki gardening?
- Github for software issues, web@ alternative in footer
- WellWatch Update- waiting for Lorrie
- Mat and Adam- gone time, contacts, etc
- SIP reporting? writeup?
- NYC general meeting on Tuesday
- do we have a digikey account? make a (wiki) page?
- or futureelectronics, adafruit, sparkfun (mathew)
- Insurance dammit :(