Staff call notes 12 05 11
Monday, December 5, 2011
Infrared- what can we get started with this- where can we use a site? Follow-up with RiverLink, Stewart can work on infrared shot during barn raising- Jeff- are infrared maps being made- weekly or bi-weekly round-up for IR camera- post about IR maps in progress, Matt Decker- balloon mapping workshop in New Haven/Yale, some people are waiting for spring to do IR, Liz- flying both- are there new topic areas that we can expand into?
- Sara try to organize meeting around IR camera
- For processing multipectral images, we have two main software projects:
- Near-term: Map Knitter to include compositing with R-G-B-nIR.
- Long-term: Clashifier - Bobby Sudekum interested in helping with this- Jeff give overview- main software needed to do image processing. From WhereCamp Boston. https://github.com/jywarren/clashifier
- Recent maps:
- Asheville https://mapknitter.org/maps/asheville-carrier-park-infrared, https://mapknitter.org/maps/asheville-carrier-park-visible-1
- Saugus, MA: https://mapknitter.org/maps/saugus-incinerator-ash-landfill-infrared, https://mapknitter.org/maps/saugus-incinerator-landfill
- Providence: https://mapknitter.org/maps/savethebay-providence, https://mapknitter.org/maps/savethebay-providence-infrared
Email protocol- BCC or cut email address off or if forwarding to list, or just get ahold of them
UNICEF- next steps- questionnaire that keeps going to Jeff- wants feedback on UNICEF- should submit this, send email to Joe, follow up with Evish (in Rio- ongoing hackathons and aerial mapping in Bahia), reaching out to INSTEDD- make sure we’re connected and remind them about our share-alike provisions.
- Is our goal to support Public Lab community in Rio that can engage with our larger community - connect dots -
- Jeff- reach out to INSTEDD to see who the correct person is to talk with? i have random other contact for Nicolas DiTada: Nditada@instedd.org
- What are the correct questions to ask the lawyer about how UNICEF has set up this dynamic?
- Lawyer- org. scale of UNICEF- underbid on our work to get another organization in
- Shannon will call Bobbie today about UNICEF issue- being specific about works that are in question- haven’t licensed any balloon mapping technology- can release under OH license- creative works like written materials, photos- cc sharealike- that cite or excerpt portions of original work- matter of spirit of work
- Is there an argument to be made that UNICEF is not a great partner to groups like us? Making it hard on groups that are doing things that are usable and affordable- shouldn’t crush open source innovators
- Mikel’s blogpost: http://brainoff.com/weblog/2011/04/16/1660 http://brainoff.com/weblog/2011/04/11/1635
Recent & Upcoming events
- thermal imaging hack in Brooklyn on Thursday
- Eye on Earth Friday through next Saturday: Liz/Shannon getting materials together. Everyone please post all links of anywhere you post stuff in this doc please so we can get to it, also of any key tags you use on flickr or personal blogs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rEZrv1y0qsM1jJbA6sRV2wInDFshi1Gzgqu0NYgp5L4/edit?hl=en_US
- Schedule NSF call - one with possible evaluator Rupal Sanghvi on this Thursday 11am.
- Draft of NSF by Thursday (except evaluation).
- respond to Phil with comments. 10:30 call for Shan, Liz, Sara, Jeff (liz has to play host that day, so might be in and out)
- Sending out NSF VOSS today Virtual Organizations of Socio-technical Systems. Full proposal due January.
- EPA grant - Urban Waters grant. Shannon has background here, Leif also interested. Thermal water thermometer- changes in water temperature. - Friday morning call-10ET
- Retail update: kit sourcing, kickstarter, large format prints
- Multi-layers in viewer on site: https://github.com/jywarren/plots/issues/28
- Shannon look into credit cards for PLOTS
- how to subscribe to specific kinds of updates from the website, like all new research notes?
- doesn’t work well yet, but you can do this in the “subscriptions” section at the bottom of any post
- can also manage/add them here: http://publiclaboratory.org/user/1/notifications/add
- https://github.com/jywarren/plots/issues/35, also related
- End of year update to community- highlight people who aren’t getting paid as staff
- Health care update - did we submit taxes for last quarter- can get health care for January 1- payroll report- Shan send, otherwise its going to be February 1st.
- Budget Q2- Shannon will update this and share- proposals are still due today
- BOD updates: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PknTnKDLCi-OYSBBw6s7MiIeL80k1qVPU4DQzklCnOE/edit?hl=en_US
Field work this week
- NYC Thermal Camera event as “hello world” and “pass the baton”