This is an open source community effort to develop simple, low-cost aerial photography methods for a range of conditions. All open hardware and software efforts are welcome here!
There are several sub-categories:
- Kite making - make your own!
- Balloon Mapping Materials - where to get them!
- Camera selection
- Photo rigs - connect your camera to your balloon/kite/etc!
- MapKnitter - Stitching images into maps!
- Mapping curriculum - a range of useful resources
You can join in by:
- Reading about goals and asking great questions
- Trying (and adding to) our community-made how-to guides
- Building on others’ work; adapt, hack and remix the kits to refine and expand them
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.
Public Lab’s Kits initiative offers starter kits for kite and balloon photography. The point of the kits is to provide a shared reference design for building experimental setups onto. You can also use our guides as a resource for building or purchasing materials of your own.
|Balloon mapping workshop for a street festival in London||@ClimateArt||over 1 year ago||1||1|
|What is the easiest and cheapest way to make a kite big enough to carry a camera?||@warren||about 6 years ago||0||1|
|Where are people compiling lists of potential pollution sites following Hurricane Harvey?||@warren||about 6 years ago||2||3|
|What are some sources of new aerial imagery of Harvey damages?||@warren||about 6 years ago||2||6|
|How do I share lots (gigabytes, or thousands) of photos online, cheaply and easily?||@warren||over 6 years ago||1||1|
|How do you merge GPS logger data into photographs?||@warren||over 6 years ago||1||11|
|Cheap, lightweight GoPro alternatives for aerial mapping?||@warren||over 6 years ago||3||14|
|User Interface on Mac||@mlapey||over 6 years ago||0||2|
|please help!||@ROCKETMAN||almost 7 years ago||0||1|
|how do i get my old map||@jgee7||almost 7 years ago||0||0|