About Public Lab
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible “Do-It-Yourself” techniques, Public Laboratory creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
The core Public Lab program is focused on “civic science” in which we research open source hardware and software tools and methods to generate knowledge and share data about community environmental health. Our goal is to increase the ability of underserved communities to identify, redress, remediate, and create awareness and accountability around environmental concerns. Public Lab achieves this by providing online and offline training, education and support, and by focusing on locally-relevant outcomes that emphasize human capacity and understanding.
Download a PDF overview of Public Laboratory's work here: public-laboratory-overview-11-22-11.pdf
Public Lab is currently hiring at Development Manager. For more information or to apply for this position, please click here.
Join now at: publiclaboratory.org/join
We're developing new tools in the spirit of Grassroots Mapping, meaning:
- low cost
- data legibility (including a preference for maps and other rich visual means of representation)
- ease of use/low barrier to entry
- public participation
- high quality, environmentally and socially relevant data
- creative reuse of consumer technology
- open source and user modifiable design
- Contribute - how to participate in Public Lab
- Priorities - our main concerns and goals
- Media - upcoming events we're speaking at, our publications, and press coverage
- How Public Lab is Funded - A list of Public Lab funding sources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Lab on Twitter and on Facebook
Who We Are
Public Lab is a growing community that is open for all to join. However, there are seven staff and three board members that support this community.
Support for Public Lab
Public Lab is made possible with support from the Knight Foundation, via the Knight News Challenge.
Public Lab received generous early support from MIT's Center for Civic Media
Contact Public Lab Staff
The best way to get in touch is by emailing our staff list at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are trying to reach a particular staff member, please visit the Public Lab Staff page. We also receive mail at:
Public Laboratory P.O. Box 426113 Cambridge, MA 02142
You can also call us at: 504-358-0647 or fax us at: 504-324-0401