Public Lab is an open community which collaboratively develops accessible, open source, Do-It-Yourself technologies for investigating local environmental health and justice issues.
Let’s talk about air quality data! Join us for Open Call on Oct. 26 to kick-off this topic and then every Tuesday until Dec. 14. Click here for call-in details!
###What is Spectral Workbench?
[SpectralWorkbench.org](https://spectralworkbench.org) is a web based application to collect, archive, share, and analyze spectral data, for Public Lab [DIY spectrometers](/wiki/spectrometer) and other spectrometers.
With it, you can:
* connect your USB [Desktop Spectrometry Kit](/wiki/desktop-spectrometry-kit-3-0)
* scan and save samples
* wavelength calibrate your spectrometer
* plot light intensity as a function of wavelength (average digital consumer cameras have a range of 400 to 700 nm)
* create sets of multiple spectra to visually compare and analyze scans
* download CSV data for offline analysis
* view others' data and discuss
* find similar data in [a database of over 60k spectra](https://spectralworkbench.org/stats)
No download is required -- just a web connection. The Chrome browser works best, but most standard-compliant browsers are supported. It is possible to use from an Android smartphone, preferably with the Firefox browser which allows you to specify which camera to look through.
* [Learn to use the software](/wiki/spectral-workbench-usage)
* Learn about the [available tools](/wiki/spectral-workbench-tools)
* Learn about [Calibration](/wiki/spectral-workbench-calibration)
* Learn about the [Snapshots system](/wiki/spectral-workbench-snapshots)
* Learn about the [Operations system](/wiki/spectral-workbench-operations)
* [Spectrometry in general](/wiki/spectrometer)
* [Applications & uses](/wiki/spectral-analysis)
* [Desktop Spectrometry Kit](/wiki/desktop-spectrometry-kit-3-0)
* [Foldable Mini-Spectrometer](/wiki/foldable-spec)
* [API Docs](/wiki/spectral-workbench-api)
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6RZ-egosn0?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Spectral Workbench should work on Chrome (in Windows/Mac/Linux/Android, but not iOS), Firefox (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android), or Opera (Android). It may work on other browsers and we are working on expanding coverage; read more on this page:
We really need more developers, so if you are interested, please get involved! A great place to start is the "plots-dev" mailing list for software developers: http://publiclab.org/wiki/developers
We're collecting and working our way through a range of questions about Spectral Workbench -- if you can contribute your own questions, or answer others', please do!
If you feel you've encountered a bug with the software -- very possible! Please look through existing issues listed here, file a new one if you don't see something similar, and help to add any observations to existing issues shown here.
Thanks for helping improve this open source software!