Start Date: Late-July 2017
Location: New Orleans, LA
Terms: 20 hours/week
The Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science (Public Lab) is a community--supported by a 501(c)(3) non-profit--which develops and applies open-source tools to environmental exploration and investigation. By democratizing inexpensive and accessible Do-It-Yourself techniques, Public Lab creates a collaborative network of practitioners who actively re-imagine the human relationship with the environment.
The Administrative Coordinator is based in New Orleans and will be responsible for supporting the core functions of the Public Lab nonprofit. Day to day tasks include administrative, accounting and human resource support, working with staff members on organizing events, and keeping a multi-office, remote team organized.
This position will work with the Operations Manager. Because of their involvement in matters related to everyone’s core responsibilities, the Administrative Coordinator would also be required to communicate frequently with the Executive Director and other staff.
Major Position Responsibilities:
- Assist with filing and bookkeeping/accounting functions
- Provide daily support to the Operations Manager
- Provide administrative support, including organizing meetings, organizing documents, booking travel, and staff project management
- Support administrative human resources objectives, including maintaining timesheets and other tasks as requested
- Assist with and/or lead development, administration, and promotion of specific projects as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Maintain and adhere to nonprofit policies and procedures, Public Lab values and the Code of Conduct
Demonstrated 2-3 years experience working in a dynamic team environment. Interest and enthusiasm for corresponding between multiple offices within a predominantly online environment. Although past experience is desirable, at minimum a strong interest in supporting a network with many moving components is required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Comfort with computers and a variety of online programs, including Google Docs and Dropbox
- Knowledge and appreciation of Public Lab (community & nonprofit), including its mission, programs, and services
- Excellent communication skills – in written, verbal and online formats
- Ability to work collaboratively, both in person and with remote coworkers, to envision and promote positive change, and to be supportive of others
- Ability to identify and solve problems both as an individual and as a team member, and to make decisions and involve others in the decision-making process where appropriate
Compensation is between $12-$14/hour, based on experience and qualifications. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 9, 2017. No phone calls please.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people with different ability sets, people of color, and people of all sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities to apply.